The three-sided anointing screen that shielded His Majesty as he was anointed with holy oil at his Coronation was donated by the City Corporation and participating Livery Companies. The Worshipful Company of Paviors was honoured to be among the Livery Companies that contributed.
The central design takes the form of a tree which includes 56 leaves representing the 56 member countries of the Commonwealth. The King’s cypher is positioned at the base of the tree, representing the Sovereign as the servant of their peoples. The design has been selected personally by The King. It is inspired by the stained-glass Sanctuary Window in the Chapel Royal at St James’s Palace, which the Livery Companies gifted to mark the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 2002.
The screen was designed and produced for use at the most sacred moment of the Coronation. It combines traditional and contemporary sustainable embroidery practices managed by the Royal School of Needlework and is made of wool from Australia and New Zealand, woven and finished in the UK.
The Livery aspects of this project have been managed by the Weavers’ Company, known from the year 1130.